- 1 1/2 cups water or no-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 can (17oz / 398mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Combine water or vegetable stock, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, onion, celery, carrot, and olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cilantro and lemon juice. Mash or purée to desired consistency, adding water if necessary.
Makes about 35 ounces