- 2 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 2 cups water or no-sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed well
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Combine butternut squash, lentils, onion, carrots, celery, water or vetetable stock, and olive oil in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Mash or purée with parsley (if using) to desired consistency.
Makes about 40 ounces.